PLEASE!!!

SCROLL DOWN THROUGH OLD BLOG POSTS AND VIEW PICTURES AND SLIDE-SHOWS!

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Road to the Horse 2011...a horse in the race...

RTTH...Road to the Horse 2011. Wow, Super Bowl for the horse person! And if you have a horse in the race, so to speak, it is all that much more exciting!

We live out of the way, in the woods, no high speed internet here, so webcast?...ya, right! Tried to buy tickets to RTTH in December for my hubby for Christmas and then we could do a little vacation in February...Murfreesboro, TN...that could be fun! Not! Sold out...oh no! OK, webcast...no reception. Plan C...let's hotel camp, buy the webcast and watch the RTTH there!! Oh baby, let's make this happen!!

On Friday February 25th we check into the hotel...settle in and load the magic webcast numbers on the computer. I thought ahead enough to make sure we got a room with a big flat screen TV and took the necessary cords to make the connection between computer and TV happen! Oh, man, the best seats in the house!! We kick back on the bed and watch it on the big screen! Couldn't have got this view if we had front row seats at the actual event!!

Road to the Horse 2011...starring Clinton Anderson, Chris Cox and Pat Parelli. These guys are considered legends in the horse world. It doesn't get much better than this...ok, maybe, John Lyons or Craig Cameron or Richard Winters or Ken McNabb or Tommy Garland...oh goodness, there are so many great horse trainers!! But these 3 are right at the top of the heap...really, it depends on the day with any one of them! That being said, we all have one that draws us a bit more than the rest, that would be your horse in the race!

The remuda of horses are herded into the arena and the horsemen draw a number to see who gets to pick first from that remuda. This year the 3 year old geldings are from the famed 6666 ranch! The horse they pick may well seal the deal as to who wins, but really, who knows until the fat lady sings! The 3 horses picked seemed to be pretty tough. Not the same brain power as horses used in previous RTTH events. Seemed Clinton Anderson's horse was hot...oooh, sizzle! I would not want to ride that one!! Parelli's, a bit more on the quiet side but totally pie eyed! Cox's, about in the middle of the other 2 horses. (Remember, I'm not a professional, I'm just a lowly commentator giving a blow by blow as "I" saw it!)

This was a 3 day event...it was exciting to watch and nerve wracking at the same time. You want the trainers to do well and the horses to catch on fast! I’ve watched all the RTTH videos since "In a Whisper" was released and I don't remember any of the trainers getting bucked off, but you know, there is always a first! When Parelli got tossed to the dirt, I'll admit, I laughed! Oh, some will say he fell, others will say he bailed...but he flat out got bucked off. Sorry guys! Parelli is a great trainer and he most certainly has put his mark on the horse world...but..he's a mouth. I can't count the times I've heard the 90 plus percent of the rodeo stock he has "not" been bucked off, so the horse owed him this one!

Now, I can hear some of you yelling at me "Anderson's a mouth too!" Ya, Mate, he's cocky, nobody is going argue that point. But for me, he's the lesser of the 2 evils and I like his method best...for me! It's a personal choice, nothin against anyone who disagrees! And Cox seems pretty quiet and passive...boring...great trainer, just doesn't keep my attention. I do plan to pay more attention to him and give him an honest shot though. He has a nice family...adorable kids!-- Oh, back to RTTH!

So, by now you know who my horse in the race was! Truth is, no matter who your horse was, the whole event was awesome! I liked that they had Susie Dobbs, Stacy Westfall and Richard Winters doing some commentating. I think it helped fill in some space for Rick Lamb. Richard Winters did a great job, he is knowledgeable and fair, and a great trainer himself...I think he brought allot to the table! And the more I hear from Westfall, the more I like her! I think the one element missing was Craig Cameron. He has an outstanding personality, easy going, easy to like and creates a great report with the crowds. He won RTTH 2010, it would have been very fitting for him to have taken part in this RTTH! As a competitor or commentator. Maybe next year!!

I like the "Freestyle" at the end of each clinician's presentation the most. And really, Anderson does the best freestyle performance of any of them, ever. Even if you think he is a one man circus act, you gotta give him credit for being gutsy and at a minimum ...entertaining!! Of course, I may be alone on this one!

So, Cox won. I'm not terribly disappointed with that choice and I'm not sure any one of them did any worse or better than the next, it's a tough job, I don't care who you are! But, I do have to wonder if Parelli's dislike for Anderson influenced the judges to go with Cox on this one and leave the other 2 to learn a lesson on sportsman like conduct.

Bottom line...this is a great event and it gets better every year! All the horse trainers/clinicians should be applauded...they have done wonderful things for the horse world and the horse lovers. I know I have learned something from everyone of them...even If I have my favorites, they all deserve credit for bringing it to us, sharing it with us and stirring our enthusiasm for the horse! Looking forwad to Road to the Horse 2012 !!!

Thank you Tootie Bland!

No comments: